Scammers demanding prepaid debit cards continue to call Tampa Electric customers under the guise of avoiding disconnection. Thousands of Tampa Electric customers have reported being contacted by scammers over the last six years.
The scam, which first surfaced in 2011, follows a scenario similar to this: Someone impersonating a Tampa Electric representative calls a customer and claims the account is past due. The caller demands the customer buy a prepaid debit card from a local drug store and call back with the card’s number to avoid disconnection. Scammers appear to be targeting elderly customers, customers who speak English as a second language and small businesses during their busiest times. In several cases, the scammer ensnared customers, some for about $1,000.
We are working closely with local law enforcement and an internet telephone service provider to shut down some of the scammers’ phones.
Stay vigilant and follow these tips
- Tampa Electric will never call to ask for credit card or debit card numbers.
- Be wary of anyone demanding payment over the phone for a power bill.
- Never give credit or debit card information over the phone.
- Know what you owe. Reference your most recent bill or log into your online account.
- If you are uncertain about an individual’s association with Tampa Electric, please contact the company for verification:
In Hillsborough County, call 813-223-0800
In Polk County, call 863-299-0800
In all other areas, call 1-888-223-0800
- All Tampa Electric team members and contractors working for Tampa Electric are required to carry photo identification cards. If someone claiming to be a Tampa Electric representative visits your home or business, request to see an ID badge or call the company to verify his or her identity.
Please share this information with friends, business owners and members of your family, especially the elderly, who are often victimized by scammers.
If you have been a victim of this scam or were contacted by a scammer, please contact your local law enforcement or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-873-TIPS.